A suspect stole an ambulance from a St. Luke’s medical facility and deliberately crashed it into an office building in Meridian, Idaho, before attempting to set the vehicle on fire, authorities said. The incident, which unfolded late Wednesday night into early Thursday morning, is being investigated as a serious and potentially dangerous criminal act. According to the Meridian Police Department, the stolen ambulance was driven into the St. Luke’s Portico North building, a property that includes office space used by the Department of Homeland Security. Law enforcement officials confirmed that the suspect fled the scene after failing to ignite the vehicle, and as of the latest updates, remains at large. Authorities emphasized that while the event posed significant risk, no injuries have been reported.
Police said the ambulance was unlawfully taken from a St. Luke’s location at approximately 11:10 p.m. Canyon County Paramedics confirmed that the vehicle, identified as one of their ambulances, was stolen from the St. Luke’s West campus before being driven several miles to the Portico North building near Eagle Road and Franklin Road. Officials stated that no Canyon County Paramedics personnel were inside the vehicle at the time it was taken. The absence of staff inside the ambulance likely prevented what could have been a far more dangerous situation. After stealing the emergency vehicle, the suspect allegedly drove it directly into the building’s exterior, causing structural damage but fortunately not triggering a fire or explosion.
Investigators believe the suspect may have planned the act in advance. According to Meridian Police Chief Tracy Basterrechea, gas cans had been staged in nearby bushes prior to the crash. After ramming the building, the suspect reportedly poured gasoline or another accelerant in and around the ambulance in an apparent attempt to ignite it. However, authorities say the individual was unable to start a fire before fleeing the scene. The failure to ignite the accelerant may have prevented extensive property damage or potential casualties. Officials have not disclosed whether the suspect encountered a mechanical issue, lacked proper ignition materials, or was interrupted before completing the act. The deliberate staging of fuel containers has led investigators to treat the case as a very serious and premeditated crime.
St. Luke’s representatives confirmed that the incident did not disrupt hospital operations or patient services. No patients were affected, and emergency care services continued without interruption. Additionally, authorities confirmed that no one was inside the Portico North building at the time of the crash, significantly reducing the potential for injury. Canyon County Paramedics Chief Michael Stowell stated that there are currently no confirmed injuries to members of the public or first responders connected to the event. He added that the agency’s priority remains the safety and well-being of the community and its staff. Officials expressed gratitude to responding law enforcement and emergency personnel for their rapid response and coordination during the unfolding situation.
The investigation has drawn support from multiple agencies. In addition to the Meridian Police Department, the Federal Bureau of Investigation is assisting in the case, along with the Ada County Sheriff’s Office, Boise Police Department, Meridian Fire Department, and Idaho State Police. Authorities have not yet announced a motive, nor have they identified a suspect publicly. Police have stated there is no ongoing threat to the public at this time, but the individual responsible remains at large. Law enforcement officials are reviewing surveillance footage, gathering forensic evidence, and following up on tips as they attempt to identify and locate the suspect.
Chief Basterrechea emphasized that had the suspect successfully ignited the accelerant, the consequences could have been far more severe. A fire involving a vehicle filled with medical equipment and fuel could have spread rapidly, posing a significant danger to surrounding buildings and emergency responders. The deliberate targeting of a building housing federal office space has further elevated the seriousness of the investigation. Authorities continue to urge anyone with information to come forward as they work to bring the suspect into custody. While no injuries occurred and the fire attempt failed, the incident underscores the risks posed by deliberate acts involving stolen emergency vehicles. Investigators remain focused on identifying the individual responsible and ensuring accountability for what officials describe as a dangerous and calculated act.